Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Grandpa Bass

My grandpa Bass passed away on August the 4th. He was an wonderful grandpa and great-grandpa. He had been pretty sick for years and he had just recently developed double pneumonia, which is unfortunately why he was in the hospital when he passed away. He was 88 years old. It was a very hard week for my whole family, but most of all my grandmother whom he had been married to for over 59 years. I know she will be lost without him. The funeral was definitely a sad time, but I was so proud of my grandpa because he was a World War II veteran and the military helped to give him a fitting service. He was one of the guys that we read about in history books. He stormed the beaches of Normandy, was in Patton's army and even won a Purple Heart and Bronze Star for his efforts. I will forever be grateful to him for his service to our country. I had never been apart of a military service and it proved to me what great respect even the soldiers today have for those who served before them.

My grandpa loved little Addie Blaire and he wanted to see her every chance I could get her his way. He was pretty confined the past few years so he wasn't able to travel to see her, but he was so determined to see her right after she was born that he made the trip to our house. I took some pictures that day and pretty much every time since when we have been together because I realized that our time is precious with our grandparents and we can't take those times we get together for granted. The pictures I attached below are from that very visit after she was born, out of all the pictures I have taken this one is the sweetest because it isn't hard to see the love he has for this little one just by the smile on his face. We love you and will miss you dearly papaw.