Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring is in the Air...

Oh, it's that time of year again when everything is in bloom and the kiddos are stir crazy from being inside all winter..so what better way to get things kicked off then the annual Jonquil Festival.  The girls and I made a trip down to Old Washington one afternoon and enjoyed picking some beautiful flowers and checking out all the unique booths on display. 

Thanks to a friend that had an actual camera on her that captured these last two shots for me. It is terrible that I never have a camera on me these days because the camera phone is just not quick enough for these two young ladies most of the time.

Now this is so huge that it probably should have been in a post all its own but since its not I will try to explain the HUGENESS of this event....AB lost her FIRST tooth!!!!!!  This is big for many reasons because she is the last in her entire class to loose a tooth so the pressure was on but also because she was so brave and pulled it out all on her own.  I wasn't sure if I was ready to do it myself (this is a big deal for the parents out there too!) so I was so thankful she was able to do it without my help.  Luckily the tooth fairy rewarded her heavily for all her patience!!
This is just a picture from chapel at school one day.  The teacher sent it to me when AB was picked to help the pastor with the lesson.  I just love to get pictures like this throughout the day reminding me how happy and blessed she is to be just where she is right now.
So, now to spring break..  it will be a series of events that took place this week because we did not escape away this year.  Unfortunately, I had to work part of the week but we did a great job keeping the kiddos entertained and they had a blast  all week long so mission accomplished on our stay-cation this year.  We started off the weekend at Mid-America museum in Hot Springs.  We first had lunch with G and Aunt Bran and then the family headed over for some good "hair-raising" fun. 
Pretty cool shot of the kiddos and daddy.. they lined up I took the shot and then this is what their outlines looked like once they stepped away.
Can you find the real B????  Not really a photographer but pretty proud of my skills on these next two shots!
What about AB???
After the museum, we kept exploring but this time we did it outdoors.  Our friends the Ralph's were camping out at Lake Ouachita for the week so we joined them Saturday and Sunday for some fun hiking to a beautiful waterfall.  The kids had so much fun playing with all the boys.. they slept so well both nights from all the running, playing football and getting a wee bit wet(when we weren't looking).  So glad to get to enjoy some beautiful weather for a change.  It has been one long winter!!
Sunday and Monday they spent the night with Nana and Pop while dad and I were working.  They even got to hang out with cousin L.  As you can tell they have free roam over my parent's house when they are there.  This was the picture I got of a pallet they made to jump off the bed on...oh, those grandparents always setting such good examples for us parents to follow!!
This is the old tractor that my grandparents got for me when I was a kid.  My dad worked hard to oil it up while the girls were there to get a chance to ride it.  Brings back some sweet memories for this momma!
No L is not hurt this is not evidence from a crime.. the girls are just busy making sure Nana and pop's driveway never looks the same again.  They took turns tracing each other and POP!!  It actually did look like a crime scene by the time they were done though...
The pretty princess wearing some of my old flower girl dresses from wedding I was in years ago.  My mom actually would announce them coming and they put on a wonderful fashion show for my dad.  She said they loved it, the only problem was the fight over the purple one..so they had to do a few fashion show changes to keep everyone happy.
Always a flair for the dramatic with these girls!
This is kind of a random shot but just something I came up with for over AB's bed.  I found the different pieces at market and just tried to put it all together for a cool look over her bed.  It is actually much neater in person because of the different layers of wings you can't see in pic. Pretty proud of myself for this creation.. mainly because it has been on my floor since January so while the girls were away for two days mommy got after some projects.  Amazing what you can do with a little time by yourself!
On Wednesday I took the girls to Ttown for a day of movies and pedicures.  Just a few selfies were taken by B.

We ended up going to my parents and spending the night with Aunt T and L because it was to be our last night to hang out before baby J.  we had fun staying up late and talking.  The next day the girls and I headed out for HS.  I wanted to make sure and show them some of the sights that we take for granted when we are there most of the time.  The weather was pretty lousy but we didn't let that stop us...we went straight to the top...of the mountain that is.  This is a pic from the top of the mountain tower even though few little can be seen in the background due to the clouds.  The girls were so nervous when we pulled up and I told them we were going all the way to the top.  Watching their eyes as we rode the elevator up was priceless.


After the mountain we came back to the seas...the Hot Springs aquarium downtown was next on our list.  The girls loved this big tortoise that roamed the grounds.  Although it is small the girls had a great time checking everything out.  AB is such a good  reader these days that she even read B and I all the details on the animals and fish. 
We spent the night in HS that evening and then woke up bright and early to hang out with these guys in LR.  We went for pizza and games and then a little bowling for the afternoon.  The kids did a great job bowling considering the lack of times that we have ever gone.  That night we had a big slumber party with all the neighbors which was so much fun for the kiddos.
 After bowling the girls and I stopped by Pigtails and Crewcuts for a couple of new do's.  They loved the fact that it was just for kids and getting to watch frozen and eat candy and crackers wasn't bad either!

On Friday we headed off to the zoo.  The girls got a chance to ride the carousel this time (it was broken last time we were there.) B really did enjoy it a little more then the photo indicates.
and more fun with friends continued..


We even got to have lunch with the elephants...cool, I know but it is a good thing you can't  smell the photograph!
I thought this was cute the next week when AB returned to school she had to write about what she had done and this is what she wrote...I guess she really did enjoy herself!  So thankful for the time off to spend with the kids and so glad we got to experience so many firsts together that week. 
The next few pictures are from the girls weekend I had with old friends (not necessarily old..well, on second thought we are kinda getting there) and the girls day out with Sharon in HS.  They went to Chick Fil A for lunch, then bounce houses, then miniature golf, then bumper boats, then arcade and finished at Michael's with some crafts for the night.  I know she was tired it makes me tired just thinking about it.  So glad they got to enjoy time together and I know the girls had a blast while I was gone.

The girls weekend was so much fun..we hadn't all been together in a very long time so Friday night we stayed up until almost 4 am talking!!  We could barely get out of bed the next morning for our spa treatments (which is probably why they will kill me if they see I posted these pics)  but we had lunch, shopped and then went for dinner that night.  As the girls scouts say "make new friends but keep the old!"  so here's to you ladies...

some things never change..the silliness we still are capable of is one of them.
I think the highlight that night though was when we went to Orange Leaf and on the way in were discussing the trouble we would get into in high school going to TCBY and making fools of ourselves by acting silly and well just driving the people that worked there nuts.  It must have been a sign because when we walked in we were greeted by some Lake Hamilton high school students who asked if we would play musical chairs with them.  We laughed and laughed as we circled around, dancing and singing to the music with these random kids in the middle of Orange Leaf.  The funniest part was when one of their parents walked in and the child replied "wait mom, these MOMS are playing with us"...I guess some things never change but apparently our reflection in the mirror does!!
Happy Spring...here's hoping the April showers bring lots of May flowers!!

No comments: