Friday, January 27, 2017

Christmas 2016

 
The first day of Christmas break...oh what to do?!!  Well one we slept in...which became common practice over the 2 weeks we were off.  Unfortunately, I became so lazy I never sleep in I am usually up by 5:15 am for workouts so needless to say reality is going to hit hard come January.  
I talked with the girls and we decided to have a day of giving back..it is something I wish I had more time for during the week but because of work I can't do as much as I would like.  For Christmas I asked Mitch for some money that I could donate to charities of my choosing.  Our first stop was Hope For Paws.  It is a great local organization formed to help with the homeless pet population.  They do a great job of adopting, fostering and even transporting animals so that euthanization isn't an option.  We picked up a couple of friends along the way to help us spread good cheer.  We spent a lot of time that morning loving on these precious babies, until we wanted to take them all home!
And then presented them with a donation to help buy food and other supplies for the puppies.
After lunch we headed out to buy some items for some local kids in need. I had called and ask for some items that were needed and they just had a call come in about a family that were late to sign up but in desperate need of items of their children...I guess my call that morning was a God thing and so the girls and I talked about how good it made us feel to know these kids would have a Christmas after all.  I think the most important thing I want my kids to remember is to never take anything for granted.  Sometimes in the business of our lives we think that things should be just as they are but we must always stop to remember that we are not guaranteed anything and that we should be thankful for all we have, but more importantly share what is given with others because it could be us in need of that favor one day too! sorry if i got a little deep on that one...but it was so nice to feel so
The next day we headed for Little Rock for a day with the girls..the Fowler girls.  WE started the morning off at the Clinton Library with a book reading lead by none other than the Grinch himself.  Also know as Craig O'Neil from KTHV news.
but he does make a great grinch too.
Some cute kiddos!

And even though June made the best grinch face out of the group she wasn't going near this guy.

Then we headed to US Pizza in the heights for lunch followed by a Christmas trolley ride over the river.  While we were there we met a very nice man who just so happened to be an artist.  He is homeless and rides the trolley each day drawing pictures of other passengers.  I was so touched by his story that we all chipped in a bit to make this picture worth his time once he was done.  But the best part was watching these girls all gather around him to watch the artist at work.
As you can see Nana now has a new piece of art of all these grands for the wall.  Special moment with a very special man I won't soon forget.
After that we needed to stretch our legs so we walked all over downtown exploring the buildings and taking in all the Christmas we could handle.


Followed by a little refueling at Starbucks!

And a picture in front of the most beautiful tree I have ever seen each year at the Capitol Hotel.  We enjoyed our day with the girls, missed Lindsey terribly but love time when we are all able to gather especially now that Abbey is in New York and we all seem to stay so busy.
That night the girls and I stayed with Aunt T and we went to see Santa Claus and waited our turn...in quite a line.  I will post original picture (when i find it)!

The next morning we headed to Arkadelphia for time with the family.  This was our year to be with my in laws so we all met up on Friday and spent the night at mom's to have our family Christmas.  AB, my little artist, was feeling inspired after her visit the day before and took a photo and made her very own rendition.  Nice work!!
And then after dinner it was present time!












Nana was super excited about pop's gift of a necklace and the grands gift of a bracelet with all their names etched into it.    It was a great night with the family followed by Christmas lights and lots of games.  So glad to get this time together each year even if it is only for a night.
The next day we headed back home because we were having Mitch's family to our house for dinner...and not just a few folks as you will see but the whole gang!  But before that we had our annual Christmas Eve service at church where we were asked to light the Advent candle that evening.  This is my Favorite service every year as the lights are turned off and we light our candles and sing Silent Night.  I just can't imagine what it must have been like on that night so many years ago when our Savior was born...but in that moment when we are singing I feel closer to my God and those around me and it is a feeling I just can't explain.  Each of us took turns reading our part.  Thanks to our friend in the crowd for taking these pictures.  I was so proud of the girls because AB read her part like a pro...she never missed a word and spoke so clearly (it was awesome.)  But B wanted to have her part too and seeing as she can't really read yet I wasn't sure how to include her so we memorized her part  "I am the light of the world!" and I picked her up and nudged as it was her turn to speak and she stole the show with her one line!




Afterwards, we headed back to the house and were welcomed buy a house full of folks.  All these cousins played their hearts out that night.

We always do a gift exchange after dinner so the kids started it all off.
Followed by the adults...which can get a little heated at times!!  Dirty SAnta...there are a bunch of those in the room.

But we all ended on good terms enough to get a picture before everyone headed home to get ready for Christmas morning.
And these are the sweet letters my girls sent via Ely and Oly to the big guy at the Northpole! I am if this letter doesn't bring you to tears I don't know what will?!!! But my favorite was her comment about low fat milk and cookies....she knows her mom well!
B got a little help on hers...but she was specific
That night after the kids went to bed I stayed up until about 3am doing a scavenger hunt through the house.  I never bumped into good ole Santa Claus so he must of had a late arrival to our house that night.  But I set all the clues up just as I wanted them for our big surprise.


These are a bit out of order but this was the final surprise...

And then the next morning we all awoke to a room full of goodies!  I jumped out ahead of the others to get some pics before the girls tore through it all.  But first a little scary morning selfie!


And they even had a note from Ely and Oly saying good bye and telling them there was just one more gift Santa couldn't seem to fit down the chimney.  It was waiting outside...



And just look what was waiting outside!

These two couldn't wait to try them out










And then it was back inside to check out what else they got





And I was so surprised to find they even got me a little something too!


And then it was dad's turn..they had a little help with his this year.
And then it was the moment I had stayed up all night for...the scavenger hunt.  yes, the next 8 pictures may bore you to pieces but I stayed up til 3am working on this so just hang in there.  The girls started the hunt off with a clue and then they were speeding through the house like little cheetahs!




And along they way they also picked up a few gifts meant to give them clues as to where we were going.  The first was a new duffle bag for a trip.

And then new shoes meant for lots of comfy walking!
And next a card explaining that they were going with friends to see Cinderella the musical in Little Rock that next week...they were so excited but had no idea what was coming next.
And I think we really got them good because they were shocked to open a gift of crowns and magic bands.  But when AB read the note it was all squeals ahead!  But if you read the note closely I can understand why they were confused as I mentioned earlier mom was a little low and sleep and somehow Disneyworld was spelled Disnelworld...so we had a little redo on the sign for a second photo op!
These two were as excited as I had hoped they would be after months of secrets and planning it all lead up to this moment and they didn't disappoint with their smiles of approval!
And then it was off to church given Christmas this year fell on a Sunday we changed rather quickly and headed up to spend the morning with our church family.  

And after church we were greeted by our cousins Mason and Max waiting patiently for us at home!
We ate lunch with the G, Nicki, Pop and the McCaslins.


And these girls got spoiled yet again!

Hot Chocolate cotton candy...who knew something so good could be better!


So proud of our find for Mason this year...I hope he enjoys it as much as I think he will.


And after lunch and gifts we headed over to Nicki and Pop's for the real fun...party sacks each year our always a favorite at our house.  The kids enjoyed their new toy at their house too.

And then we spent the afternoon clobbering each other in these things!
Oh and waiting for this darn eggs to hatch!!  Biggest let down of 2016 Christmas...ladies and gentlemen the Hatchimal!!  Actually it had moments of being cool but when we were on hour 7 of no animal...mom was beginning to get a little impatient!
That night we headed to Bobo's house for dinner and more gifts (not sure why the gift pictures didn't attach )!!   B was excited to get a soccer goal so she could practice year round and AB got something she had been asking for...voice lessons.  She was beyond excited and I can't wait to see how she will enjoy learning more about something she loves to do.
These kiddos were spoiled all day!!  So thankful for family that loves them as much as they we do!
The next few days were a blur...between sleeping in, snuggling in bed and eating lots of treats we were complete bums!  But we did manage to have a little fun like movies with friends...


and even an overnight get away to Shreveport.  We found a great boutique hotel downtown with an indoor pool which was a requirement for a quick getaway.

And that night enjoyed one of the best dinners we have had in a long time at Abby Singer's on Main street.

AB had her first chicken and waffles experience and you can see by the plate that it was a hit!
And B went with the ole favorite chicken strips but she did branch out and try some turnip greens which made me happy!
And then we made a late night trip through the shops on the river and for ice cream...what else goes better with 40 degree temps outside!
The next morning we headed back and straight to the woods.  We stayed the night with the McCaslin crew at their hunting cabin and were joined by lots of friends to ring in the new year!
I bought a few fireworks to get the party started!
And then we headed down to an opening in the woods for a little larger show put on by the kids and yours truly...how I get myself into this stuff I will never now.  A shot of some of the cute kiddos
and a blurry shot of the parents thanks to the kiddos!
Fun times had by all!
The next morning we headed staight to Hot Springs for the rest of the weekend.  We enjoyed more Christmas lights and holiday fun while we still could fit it in.


And made sure to get in our black eyed peas and cabbage.  Forget that because the kids wanted Chinese food that night for dinner mom spent half the evening driving around in the rain to find a spot that still had some cabbage and peas.  It wasn't the best for sure but by golly I was making everyone have some after that!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2017 to all and may this year be the best yet!!

No comments: