Friday, November 18, 2016

July 4th, Sleepaway camp, All Strars and a Star...Busy month!

Fourth of July fun was waiting on us when we returned from vacation.  We pulled straight in to the lake from the airport for some time with family and friends.  The kids headed straight for the lake water to get all that salt off!  Luckily they had friends to join them!

But on the 4th as we always do we made our way back to town to join in with our church and help to put on the best darn fireworks show this town has ever seen.  though our part in the event is very, very small it is such a rewarding feeling to see the entire church yard and even the highway nearby covered in cars and families who have come to celebrate with us.  Each year this event kicks off with a bicycle parade and for the firs ttime this year I actually didn't have to push anyone!!




And we had lots of family that came to enjoy the evening with us.  I think it really is a special night for the whole community and especially for my kids as they are making memories of spending their 4th with their church family.



Also, as usual, Mitch drove the train...or shall I say roller coaster for all the kids.  As you can see our two wanted to take it home for a spin...such a cool little ride.
and then it was time.  We went straight from arrival on Friday from vacation, to the lake to the church and then the next morning we were back on the road to Camp Tanako!  This was to be my big girls first overnight camp.  I was so excited because not only was this the camp I grew up going to so many years but with my bestest pal Renee.  So the fact that my daughter and her daughter teamed up to go together this year made it really cool, for kids and the mommas!  We didn't want to leave we just kept walking around reminiscing and the girls were looking at us like please leave you are embarrassing us now, but we had to peel ourselves away.  Here they are in front of the quilt made from years of camp shirts.  I even spotted a few I had back in the day.
And then it was time to set up the bunk and be on our way...but what turned out to be even cooler was that our girls got placed in a cabin with all Arkadelphia girls from Arkadelphia mommas that Renee and I both knew.  Such a small world but a pleasant surprise because we knew they were bound to have some fun!

And then they were off and the tears came as I pulled away...won't be the last time I'm sure!

Meanwhile, little sister kept us busy at home.  We played and had friends over all week, I think she missed sissie as bad as we did!
But alas a picture posted to Facebook allowed me to see my precious girl playing games and having fun...so I could go another day.  Sounds dramatic...but I assure you I was in withdraws big time!
one night Mitch and I had the privilege of meeting up with a group of friends to make a big announcement.  This is the group of individuals who have banded together to make a difference in the realm of cancer research and on this very night we were told that because of all the funds we have raised there is now a special research endowment named in honor of our friend that will help to find a cure for ALS (acute leukemia) and I must say with tears in my eyes I have never been so proud of a group of guys and their gals who work just as hard to keep a dear friend's memory alive and hopefully just hopefully find a cure!
And then before we knew it it was time to pick up our girl and this time she was the one crying!  But not for the reason you might think or I would have hoped...not to see dear ole mom but because she had to leave!!  She had the best time, made some great friends, and will have memories that will last a lifetime.  So proud of my big girl and even more proud of the Godly adventures I know she has in store in the future!

As you can see this post just keeps going...well that is because we never stopped.  AB came back from camp on Friday and at 9am on Saturday we were on the ball fields for All Star tournament day. A whirlwind of a summer no doubt.
The sister support crew...who found some shade in that serious heat!
So proud of the accomplishments this girl made in softball this year.  She really did so much better than we expected and ended up being the second highest RBA on her team!  She is such a hard worker and will not stop til she gets it right.  I am proud of her determination and drive to learn and improve all the time.

Some of the support crew, I don't think I caught a picture of Bobo that day. 

After six long hard games they came out in 2nd place.  Pretty good for a team full of girls who had never played together and certainly not against teams of the caliber that this tournament brought in.




Pretty girls all ready for church...
The next week of summer was spent at vacation bible school were the girls were thrilled to have cousins by their side.  They enjoyed the week and all the fun activities they made sure to provide.
On Friday of that week since I was off work we headed to Hot Springs to meet Aunt T and cousins for a day at Magic Springs, but little did we know that the power had been knocked out at the park so as we pulled up they flagged us down to let us know the park would be closed for the day.  So on to plan B (in our swimsuits no less) we decided to show those Little Rock girls the alligator farm. B was the first up to try and feed them a little lunch.
And AB thought she would show them how to hold an alligator that is until it moved, she freaked out, and then she dropped it.  Everyone around freaked out and took off running and good ole mom chased after him to pick him up.
I had to prove to the girls he was harmless with is nose taped and I just wanted to check on the little guy that was a pretty good fall he took.  (By no means am I saying I am an alligator person just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be getting a bill from the place for his medical needs!)  As you can see AB was still a little shook up.

And the kiddos got to have a little farm fun while we were there as well.


We went from alligators to butterflies and girly pedicures.  But this was a first for the Cross ladies so we were glad to join them for a little spa day.  Fun times with the cousins is always welcome!

And it just wouldn't be summer in Arkansas or especially Hope without a complementary watermelon photo.  Me in my pajamas and all!  Love summertime and fun by the pool with all these kiddos!
The end of July brought on another camp this time close to home for AB.  She attended Star Academy which was a week long camp where she had to perform on stage in a production at the end of camp.  She even had to audition on a big stage in front of several people, which is pretty cool and totally terrifying all at the same time.  She wasn't scared though she even got up there and sang a song she had never heard before...that is pretty brave if you ask me.  We enjoyed having our cousin Lila stay a few nights with us that week.  It was a first for her away from home and I know she and B kept Miss Aimee on her toes!
AB had plenty of support as you made her debut performance!

Our little star!





That weekend was spent on the lake with cousins and friends and a trip to the cold water damn
This is the face of what cold water will do to you...it is ice cold I can't say that clear enough freezing ice cold water.  We always make sure to pull a person right back up because it is so cold you forget to move or can't!  But the faces of these kiddos as they came back up said it all!





 Since summer was coming to an end I took another day off work to spend with the girls.  It was great to just spend another night at the lake and the next day we headed up to hang out in Little Rock.  We stopped by the new Dave and Buster's before making our way to the hotel to hang out with Aunt T and cousins for the night.

We lucked out and got a great room with a view of the Big Damn Bridge

and even fireworks from Dickey Stephens park.
The next day we spent hanging out at the river market and we even met up with some familiar face for lunch.
cousin Abbey and Aunt Bettye  it was sure good to see you!
As you can see we have spent the summer going and doing and seeing...but more than anything enjoying every second and making memories with my girls is my greatest joy!!!

No comments: